For the Tambo CT Owners

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 10:47
ThreadID: 50412 Views:2485 Replies:11 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
Good Morning All,

We recently sold our KK which we bought for an extended trip last year. It performed beautifully and having added a fair bit of wear and tear, travelling over 40,000 km and owning it for 18 months, we sold it for the same money we bought it for. Very happy, but too much money to be sitting around now we are back to occasional use.

I am looking at a soft floor 'off road' camper to replace it and ,after a fair bit of research, it would seem that the Tambo campers are very hard to beat. I am looking at the Cooper with 16" rims and a few extra bits and pieces that bring the price up to about $12,000. Compared to other campers with similar features, the price seems excellent for what you get. The feedback on this forum and others seems very good and they are very hard to find second hand, which tells you something.

Other than a 3 or 4 month wait, are there any issues I need to be aware of? What are the really useful features that you have added and what could you live without? What bits and pieces are best added by the factory and what have you done yourself?

I have looked at a number of brands, but have really settled on the Tambo, so feedback from owners/users would be fantastic.

Cheers,

Matt.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jimbo Vic - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 12:02

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 12:02
Matt,

Have a butcher's in the Trader section. Item no 15, $7,500, save yourself a lot of time and money.

I happen to know that particular one has been well cared for.

Jim.
AnswerID: 265895

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 12:27

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 12:27
Thanks Jim. I have been keeping an eye on that one, but not quite ready to go just yet.
FollowupID: 527909

Follow Up By: Jimbo Vic - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 21:36

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 21:36
Matt,

Remember that Bob Hudson song "The Newcastle Song"..........

"Don't you ever let a chance go by, Oh Lord, don't you ever let a chance go by".

ATB

Jim.

FollowupID: 528030

Reply By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 12:43

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 12:43
Matt

Also have a look at www.camelgroup.com.au

I bought their Bushman CT which costs $13,400 delivered to Victoria.

Some of the key features include full length chassis, electric brakes, new tyres and wheels, parallel bearing axle with heavy duty 7 leaf shackles, choice of hitch (mine is a Hyland), pneumatic swing up jockey wheel, 240V power, three 12V connections, drop down stabilising legs, 65L water tank and 12v pump, 80ah battery, painted steel kitchen with stainless stove/sink combo, awning with kitchen wall, two gas bottle and three water holders etc.

Apart from that, it's other features such as a stone guard, front storage container are pretty much the same as most CT's on the market. Delivery is around 6 weeks. If you give Steve a call he'll send you a brochure and DVD.

The only things I'll be adding to it, are internal anchor points, Anderson plug and smart charger.

By the way, I have no affiliation with the company.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 265898

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 13:22

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 13:22
Thanks Kim. I did have a look at them, but will give them a call as you suggest.
FollowupID: 527922

Reply By: Lizards - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 13:07

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 13:07
Hi Matt

I have a camper I bought in brisbane for just over $7k. very basic but have added things.

In Holt and happy for you to have a look

A word of caution. My reading when doing the research was to have the same size wheels all round.

Maybe some others can give you some feefback on the availability of 16" tyres when doing the big trips.
Have a hilux and stuck with the 15" tims and tyres to be able to use the spares on both
AnswerID: 265901

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 13:21

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 13:21
Thanks mate, I have 16" rims on the Cruiser, hence the desire for them on the trailer. Same as my last one and a definite plus.
FollowupID: 527921

Reply By: flappa - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 14:10

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 14:10
If you have settled on a Tambo , no point in trying to tell you to look elsewhere.

Cant say I have ever heard a bad report on the Tambo's. Their rep seems first class.

Few guys on here with Tambo's including "Moggs". He is very happy with his.
AnswerID: 265907

Reply By: Fragle_Rock (VIC) - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 15:16

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 15:16
Matt,

We have had our Tambo Cooper for just over 12 months now and I can't praise the camper or the service we have received from Keith and Amanda highly enough.

The camper has done everything we have asked of it. Ours has the 16 inch rims, side lift, tool box, 62ltr poly water tank, electric brakes, 12 volt pack, treg, stoneguard with side extensions to the mudguards on the trailer slide out kitchen and a tow bar receiver at the rear to put the bikes on.

At the time of ordering we also included the provision to add on the extra bedroom as this option can not be fitted at a later date.

The only other mod we have made is added a barrier inside the trailer that runs down the full length of the kitchen. This has been made out of the stuff used for security doors. It ensures that our contents inside the trailer do not fall onto the kitchen allowing it to slide out without any problems when we pull of for some morning tea etc.

You wont have any regrets....we love it.

Cheers

AnswerID: 265912

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 20:09

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 20:09
Thanks mate. Does the side lift option increase the chances of dust getting in or have you found it well sealed?

Matt.
FollowupID: 527989

Follow Up By: Fragle_Rock (VIC) - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 22:50

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 22:50
Matt,

I haven't had any problems with dust getting in as a result of having the side lift added. They are a great unit.

Cheers
FollowupID: 528056

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 16:56

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 16:56
No doubt you realize the Tambo is a big step backwards in features hence the price difference. Having watched a few being set up & packed away they do take far more time compared to the flip over design of a Kimberly. I would say the Tambo would be better suited to base camping rather than regular shifting like when touring. On our last trip even those with tents were setting camp quicker. Quality of canvas seems excellent on a no fuss solid trailer.
Cheers Craig...........
AnswerID: 265928

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 20:07

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 20:07
Sad to see the KK go Craig, but we bought it for a reason and it is just too much dough not to be used regularly or for long trips. Sigh.

Now reduced to weekends and the odd school holiday again, so ease of set up not such a huge issue as when we were doing it for 7 months straight.

I appreciate your thoughts.
FollowupID: 527988

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Oct 11, 2007 at 13:27

Thursday, Oct 11, 2007 at 13:27
The difference would only be a matter of a few minutes, I couldn't see that being too much of a problem.
FollowupID: 528151

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 18:07

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 18:07
I have never owned a Tambo so my comments are from what i have seen. Looks like a very well made unit. The canvas work is terrific and the trailer looks well made. Great value for money. The only negative i think is the very low canvas height over the bed. It is almost clostrophobic to the eye. Just my obsevations.
AnswerID: 265935

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 20:11

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 20:11
Thanks Brew. 25 years in the Navy and a number of them in patrol boats, so calustraphobic sleeping spaces not a real problem. Interesting observation though.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 527990

Reply By: lc_120man - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 20:05

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 20:05
Just got back back from Flinders with Tambo CT. Tambo is excellent if you are planning to stay at the same spot for extended period of time. If you are planning to break a camp every day or two, you'll find putting it up and down tiresome...
Once you done it a few times, you'll be able to put it up in about 15 minutes (without the awning). Packing it up takes about 25-30 minutes...

Stan
AnswerID: 265965

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 20:12

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 20:12
Thanks Stan. Are they any worse than most other soft floor campers though?
FollowupID: 527991

Follow Up By: lc_120man - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 22:51

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 22:51
Matt,

I bought Tambo with most add-ons except the kitchen. It's got Toolbox, Electric brakes, 60 litres water tank, stoneguard with extension to the front of the trailer, side lift, treg hitch and 12v pack.

The camper is very good quality. The only problem I got so far it that it is parked under car port all the time and after a year and bit
started show a bit of rust in places, so it might need some maintenance to stop it going further...

I agree with with all points that Moggs mentioned below.
Get and extra bedroom door, even if you are not going to buy extra bedroom you can use it to have a shower next to CT and go from shower to CT via that door.

Also Tambo now have a longer tent version of CT so if you are after more space I would get it instead of the standard one.

The thing I would advice not to do is not to extend draw bar. We had a guy with Aussie Swag CT with us on Flinders Trip and because of long draw bar(he requested it to be longer so he could fully open rear door in the car with CT hitched on) he couldn't go trough the same spots we did and had to look for alternative route in couple of places.

Stan
FollowupID: 528057

Reply By: Moggs - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 20:37

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 20:37
We bought a Tambo Cooper in February this year and absolutely love it. I agree with the others, Keith and Amanda are great to deal with and genuinely want you to be happy with their product.

We decided on the Cooper with 16 inch rims and 285/75/16's and they made the tent wall height a bit longer to compensate for the extra tyre height. We sort of got all the options which included the stone guard back to the wheel arches, 12 volt pack, slide out kitchen, centre divider to stop stuff falling behind the kitchen, side lift, awning end walls and 1/2 front wall (kitchen side), rear bedroom, extra height cover, tregg hitch, 83 ltr water tank. Things we added ourselves include a Flojet pump and water filter on the side, Shovel and axe holders on the wheel arches, rubber matting inside the trailer.

Things we learnt / revisited with Tambo / suggest:

1. Get them to sew on the zip and rear door for the back bedroom even if you don't buy it - it cannot be retro-fitted
2. Get the 83 ltr tank, it is rear mounted to the axle and helps with the tow ball weight. In addition, it means they fit different stabiliser legs (much better Alko ones than the full wind down jobbies
3. Get them to sew in additional pole holes in the awning - one each end in the middle. It helps with the weight of the awning walls and to tension the awning roof.
4. Get them to make the travel cover 100mm higher - means you can keep all the bedding and heaps of other stuff on the bed.
5. Get the side lift - it also cannot be retro-fitted.
6. If you have a dual rear wheel carrier on the 4wd or have a single side opening rear door get them to sweep the angle of the stone guard from the centre section (ask Keith, he will know if you mention me)
7. If you get the rear bedroom, get them to sew two pole triangles on the sides (I think they might do this standard now anyway). Helps tension the roof.

All in all they are a great trailer for the price. Ours was around 12k all up and it wants for nothing.

Remember to tell them you are an EO member and you get a free end wall I believe.

Lastly, not sure why above it mentions taking long to set and pack up. We can do it in 15 minutes flat from cover off to awning done and kitchen ready to go. Packing up takes about 25 minutes easy work. BTW, you can leave the awning on, just fold it back over the roof.

Good luck with it. I am sure you will be as happy as we are!
AnswerID: 265980

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 21:46

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 21:46
Thanks Moggs. Yours sounds like about what I am after, I am interested to hear that they can accommodate the 285/75/16's which is what I run on the car.

I did wonder about set up. I can't see how they would be any worse than most soft floor campers, having owned one before.

All comments I have read seem to suggest that they are a great outfit to deal with and committed to the product, that is worth a lot to me.

Cheers,

Matt.

P.S. Your not Paul Moggach's brother are you?
FollowupID: 528031

Follow Up By: Moggs - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 22:26

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 22:26
Yep, 285's fit fine under the guards. Make sure you mention it to Tambo though so they can make the tent a few inches taller.

We looked at heaps of camper manufacturers prior to choosing the Tambo. We have never regretted it. Not only are Keith and Amanda great to deal with, but in our opinion you are getting good value for money re: quality.

Yep, I'm the other Moggs. Paul is my older brother. You know him from the forces?
FollowupID: 528049

Follow Up By: Moggs - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 22:35

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 22:35
lol! Just spoke with Paul on Skype - so you are his boss eh?? Give him heaps for me ;-)
FollowupID: 528053

Follow Up By: Crackles - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 23:43

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 23:43
"not sure why above it mentions taking long to set and pack up."

Moggs I mentioned the time to errect/pack up as I'm just back from a trip that had a Tambo, Campomatic, Cameron's, Trayon, a home made flip over type & an Aussie swag along with the usual variety of tents.
As I'm concidering making a trailer I was looking at the different types & took note of the time to set up etc. The Trayon won hands down in speed. The basic set up (no kitchen canvas) of the flip over types were a close 2nd. The soft floor trailers including the Tambo had more poles/pegs to play with & the canvas didn't seem to fold away as quickly. 15 minutes would be a bit of an ask to set up in & certainly nothing like the realistic time taken by this group I was with. No doubt a couple of seasoned travellers well rehearsed could do better. Ironically when everyone was packing up quickly on the days we moved, the minute touring tents with self inflating mats etc were even quicker than most of the campers with their full canvas set up.
Just an observation as I have no preference for any brand & all the owners were more than happy with their purchase's....
Cheers Craig.........
FollowupID: 528061

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Thursday, Oct 11, 2007 at 10:49

Thursday, Oct 11, 2007 at 10:49
Moggs,

Paul (the other Moggs) just sent me the photos. Looks good and thanks for that.

Small world eh? Not surpised he doesn't mention you much, Nissan owner and all that...

Thanks again,

Matt.
FollowupID: 528134

Follow Up By: Moggs - Thursday, Oct 11, 2007 at 19:20

Thursday, Oct 11, 2007 at 19:20
Matt, I didn't even know he had piccies of the Tambo - bet he tried to sell you on an All-Terrain though lol!

Yep, definitely a small world. I thought about buying a Llandcruiser when looking for a 4wd. I decided to get the Patrol as I wanted something good off-road ;-)
FollowupID: 528219

Follow Up By: Rohan K - Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 11:23

Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 11:23
And I bought the Crusier (which Paul emulated) because I wanted something better off-road. ;- )
FollowupID: 533130

Reply By: Paul(ACT) - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 20:52

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 20:52
Gday Matt,

I have a Tambo Cooper, since you are in Canberra, you are more than welcome to look at mine, which I bought in February 2005, you can even take it for a spin and camp some weekend, if your keen contact me.

jochheims at aapt.net.au

or

You dont have to buy it, but more than welcome to look at it and take it for a camp.

Paul...

AnswerID: 265984

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 21:50

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2007 at 21:50
Thanks Paul, I might give you a call if that is OK.

Cheers,

Matt.
FollowupID: 528034

Reply By: Member - Tonester (VIC) - Thursday, Oct 11, 2007 at 16:18

Thursday, Oct 11, 2007 at 16:18
Hi Matt. We've had our Tambo for 2yrs, about 60 odd nights, and extremely happy. You'll find Keith and Amanda at Tambo provide exceptional service. My comments on the camper:

- Get an additional 100mm added to the PVC cover height, can store lots more stuff
- Have pole holes installed in the middle of the awning end walls, helps keep it sound in wind and rain
- Have velcro on the bedroom/awning top flap to keep it down in wind
- Have all prep work done for the bedroom, awning, front and side walls done upfront (this is extra holes and velcro etc). PITA to retrofit if you choose to buy something later
- We found we can't live without the sidelift. Albeit, we have a tailgate kitchen, so the sidelift give full access to the trailer body without leaning over a slideout kitchen
- We had our spare bedroom leak significantly, however be patient with weathering it in, it does reduce
- Get the big water tank, it apparently has a drain plug at the very bottom. Ours doesn't, it leaves many litres in the tank after draining, a problem for a thorough clean
- Have stone guards extended back to wheel arches
- Anyone who tells you a treg hitch is hard to hook up to a car is wrong! Dead easy, worthwhile add-on
- If you have kids, get them to weld a Rayman Reese square receiver to the rear of the trailer, so you can put on a kids bike carrier on the back of the trailer
- If you got a barn door at the rear of your vehicle, you'll find opening that door with trailer attached is a PITA, see if Tambo have any ideas
- My swing down jockey wheel is useful, but wobbles and tire goes flat regularly. I think Tambo have a different option available now
- If you plan to get a battery tray and battery, see if they can run a charging wire during construction. Difficult to do so afterwards
- I found the stainless steel pole screws very difficult to do up tight and hold the pole up against wind.Tambo have these big black screws available - much easier.
- Similarly in wind, Tambo have pole stirrups they can sell you
- When you pack it up with lots of stuff on top of the mattress, keep the bulk of the gear toward the hinged side of the mattress area. Otherwise, the centre pole loop tend to sit on top of the bulk and bends.

Tone
AnswerID: 266124

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Thursday, Oct 11, 2007 at 19:46

Thursday, Oct 11, 2007 at 19:46
Thanks for the time taken with the reply Tone. Will take your advice on board. Had a Treg on the last one and pretty happy with the technique. The car doesn't jhave barn doors, so should be OK.

Other points noted, thanks again.

Matt.
FollowupID: 528231

Sponsored Links